The general objectives of WAT’SAVEREUSE is to explain the benefits of water legislation and national initiatives to promote the circular economy in water consumption, especially in the tourism sector, with the aim of both water saving such as water reuse, with special emphasis on the Mediterranean environment. The project will help alleviate the identified environmental problem (water scarcity and drought) by conducting informed awareness campaigns aimed at four target groups and defining better policies with a clear impact.
- Reduce the overall water consumption of tourists during their stay in hotels, camping and others.
- Promote and sensitize the stakeholders of the tourism industry for the reuse of water in order to explain the benefits of the implementation of the legislation on reuse and improve the perception of tourists about the recovered water.
- Encourage the tourism industry to implement at least 5 water reuse solutions.
- Strengthen water governance through collaboration between public administrations and value chain operators.
- Reduce global freshwater consumption by 30%.
EXPECTATIONS OF RESULTS:
Regarding the expected results of the project are:
- ▼ The design of a new communication methodology to reduce water consumption and raise awareness of the benefits of water reuse in the tourism sector.
- ▲ Achieve a 9% increase in water reuse in the tourism sector, through awareness of stakeholders, of the benefits of implementing water reuse legislation, strategies and reuse water in the tourism sector.
- ▼ 20% reduction in water consumption in hotels.
- ▲ 9% increase in water reuse on golf courses.
- ▲ 12% increase in water savings by public administrations.
- ► Reinforced cooperation between public administrations.
- ▼ Reducing the environmental impact of tourism on the Mediterranean Coast.